Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's Opposite Day!


Hollywood loves a cliche.

And don't get me wrong -- I do too. Give me a well-executed predictable story any day over an experimental mind-fuck. The Romeo and Juliet, the Cyrano de Bergerac, the Opposites Attract ... all of them can be twisted in boundless entertaining ways.

But here's one that, in my opinion, sorely lacks variety: the Ugly Duckling.

Hollywood loves to tell the story of a physically unattractive, somewhat socially inept Everyman whose innate goodness, smarts, or sense of humor somehow win the love of a physically (and usually in every other way) perfect specimen of the opposite sex. The problem is that the average Joe is always a guy.


I love me some Judd Apatow, but even he lacks imagination when it comes to the ladies. The only ordinary-looking women in his movies are in supporting parts, like Charlyne Yi's naked stoner in Knocked Up or the oversexed Jane Lynch in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Clearly he can appreciate female comedic talent. So why can't he write a feature around a unique comedienne the way he has around his schlubby male proteges?



As a fan of escapism in general, and movies in particular, I'd like to point out that part of what gets me invested in a story is my ability to identify with the protagonist. And like it or not, looks matter. There are only so many size-10 Bridget Joneses and sexy librarians a girl can take. And why does every unconventional-looking woman in a movie have to be explained away? Not all of us are sassy soul sisters, or chefs, or crazy cat ladies. We're just people.


And I for one would love to see that reflected on film. So get on it, Hollywood. How about a romcom for the real Everywoman?

No comments:

Post a Comment