Monday, June 7, 2010

Like Fantasy Moguls, But Geekier

So awhile back I remember reading about this game called Fantasy Moguls. The gimmick was that it was a sort of movie lovers' fantasy baseball, except with movie studios rather than ball clubs. You could be the head of a fantasy movie studio, and given a "budget," you could slate actual movies for your studio. As in baseball, the object, of course, was to win; and winning this game depended on your skill at predicting box-office success.

The first time I heard about Fantasy Moguls I had the knee-jerk reaction that I would love it. My best friends are all people with whom I can hold forth for hours about books, television and movies, and actors' names and filmographies take up space in my brain the way that batting averages occupy some. As I read the game's description, however, my thoughts moved from these are my people to wait, how is this different from, well, fantasy investment bankers?

See, in sports, though some players end up inevitably disappointing the managers, owners, coaches and fans, most of the time it's pretty easy to judge success objectively. Most baseball stars are famous because they're incredibly talented, and that makes them fun to watch. If they remain healthy and whole, you can count on them sticking around for a long time. Ticket sales are almost always linked to the ability of the players.

Box office profits are not. After all, the number one movie this past year was entirely CGI and, as I understand it, had almost no plot and a mostly forgettable cast. Exciting videogame visuals apparently go a long way in hypnotizing the public, and the unfortunate result is that we're looking at years and years of headaches caused by 3D glasses.

Perhaps my way of looking at things is overly feminine -- a non-competitive, let's-all-play-cooperatively spin on the fantasy of controlling pop culture -- but I think the real fun lies in the what-ifs inspired by our subjective opinions. Who's your dream team for a film version of your favorite book? Which actors are naturals to play relatives but have, for whatever reason, never met? Which television shows would you bring back if you could, or cut shorter even if you loved them to begin with? In whose personal lives do you wish you could play God?

Enter the Hollywood Suggestion Box.


No comments:

Post a Comment